Shareaholic Funding, Download Milestone & a Lesson for Boston Startups
Special congratulations are in order for Jay Meattle and his social sharing micro-startup Shareaholic. The 2 year old service announced both a round of funding and passing the 1 million download mark! The amount of the funding was not disclosed.
It’s a great story on the surface but I like the lesson being delivered by the list of angel investors,several who will also be advisors. It is a close-knit group of other local startup veterans. This “local networking circle” brings together not only the necessary funds, advice and connections to grow the business but also helps to nurture the startup climate here in Boston. The future for a sustainable and vibrant tech startup culture here in the area would be very bright if the next round of startups followed this example over and over again.
There was an excellent set of articles from Scott Kirsner (Boston.com) and Xconomy’s James Geshwiler and Time Rowe covering the concepts of fostering local innovation and entrepreneurship back in August that you should read if you have not already.
- Ed Roberts, founder, MIT Entrepreneurship Center; co‐founder, Sohu.com
- Dharmesh Shah, founder and chief technology officer, HubSpot
- Eric Dobkin, Advisory Director, Goldman Sachs & Co.
- Brian Balfour, co‐founder, Viximo
- David Cancel, co‐founder, Compete (also founder of Lookery where Jay is the VP of Products)
- Andrew Payne, investor in Care.com, Digium, HubSpot, and SmartFlix; co‐founder, FanSnap
- Brian Shin, founder and CEO, Visible Measures
Shareaholic is a very simple browser plugin that makes it easy to cross post links to the top social sharing services on the web like Twitter, Digg, StumbleUpon and Delicious. Here is a video tour that was posted on the TechCrunch article covering the announcements.
I wonder if the timing is right for my own long neglected social sharing toolbar service, The Web 2.0 Toolbar, to capture a bit of funding?
More on the announcement from around the web:
- Browser Plugin Shareaholic Passes 1 Million Downloads, Closes Seed Funding from TechCrunch